It all started with turning a negative situation (having a foggy memory) into a positive one. I always carried around my mini point-and-shoot camera in hopes of capturing magical moments with friends and loved ones. Cumulatively, those moments blossomed into creative documentation of 100+ events across North America.
From photographing local events, to developing stock photos, to composing portraits, I am consistently working on archiving communities that I admire and identify with.
"Fonna was professional & congenial. She provided high quality service and was responsive & accommodating to our needs."
- Previous Client
"You had super-clear policies, you were clear about your offer, your needs, your purpose. I like clarity! Also, your images are brilliant and I loved how you were ready to listen."
- Beth from Little Red Tarot
- Gallery 44 x Supporting Our Youth, Film Photography
- AGO, Jason Evan’s Portraiture Workshop
- Gallery 44 x The Nia Centre for Arts, Film Photography
- Vulva Is, Feminist Art Conference, Toronto, ON
- Strange Sisters: The Insatiable Redux, Buddies in Bad Times Theatre, Toronto, ON
- Flux, Gallery 44, Toronto, ON
- Black to the Future, Sherbourne Health Centre, Toronto, ON
- Switzer, S, Lyaruu, T., Apong, K., Bell, O, Manuel-Smith, C, Hernandez, L., Pariah, S., McWhinney, P.G., Seidu, F., Bykes, A. (2016) What’s glitter got to do with it?: Re-imagining harm reduction, decision-making and the politics of youth engagement. In Smith, C. & Marshall, Z (eds.) Critical Perspectives on Harm Reduction: Conflict, Institutionalization, Co-optation, Depoliticization, and Direct Action. Nova Publishers: New York.
- Adventure’s in Nest-Building (Or, How to support place-based youth organizing): A YSI Collaborative Learning Document (Contributing Photographer), December 2015
- Chimurenga: Watah Theatre Inaugural (Guest Photographer), December 2015
- Sidai 1-4, From The Root Zine: Issue #2 Body, March 2015
- Sidai 000 Zine: Stories of Our Bodies, March 2015
- Essential Things For Surviving As A Young Black LGBTQ Freelancer, Canadian Media Guild Blog, February 2015
- Headwrap Headshots (Amanda), From The Root Zine: Issue #1 Hair, June 2014
- NIA Centre 2014 Calendar (August Feature), February 2014
- Toronto Youth Equity Strategy: Building Resilience and Supportive Systems (Contributing Photographer), January 2014
- Headwrap Headshots Series, 436, York United Black Students’ Alliance, Back Cover, February 2014
- Say NO to femme taming and FUCK YEAH to femme claiming, Queer and Trans Suppliment, Excalibur: York University ‘s Community Paper, November 2013
- Beads of Survival, Flux, Gallery 44 Zine, page 19, June 2013
Film And Video Art Productions
- Route To Love. Director/Editor. Digital Video. 3:13 Minutes. Story about mental health and self- harm as a young Black woman and overcoming this with art.
- The Femme Chronicles (work-in-progress). Director/Editor. Digital Video. TBD. Documentary about 4 individuals who identify within the femme spectrum.